This week, I almost died of laughter while watching the 1980 classic Airplane!. And yes, I was sitting in my apartment alone and loudly laughing. Judge me.
I had seen clips of it in various classes and my parents quote this movie occasionally (mostly my dad), so I figured it would be good to have in my arsenal of movie knowledge. Little did I know how HILARIOUS this movie is – out of everything I’ve watched, this is by far my favorite.
Because we just finished up with Halloween weekend and I haven’t journeyed to the liquor store in a while, my alcohol supply was a bit limited. So I made something super simple – a spiked Arnold Palmer. To put my own little twist on it, I used Amsterdam Peach Vodka instead of regular vodka. It ended up being too sweet for my taste that night, but still a great drink and something I’ll for sure make again.
Cozied up in my shark blanket with my drink on my coffee table ready to go, I took a trip with Airplane!.
- Omg it’s opening like a shark attack I’m already laughing.
- Actually that’s appropriate seeing as I’m wearing my shark blanket.
- The airport announcers are arguing oh my gosh.
- FOURTH WALL HAS BEEN BROKEN!!! BLESS.
- The Mayo Clinic pun. I am dead!
- This movie is only 5 minutes in and it is everything I want in a movie.
- Is that taxi going to sit there this whole movie waiting for Ted!?!
- I can’t tell if these subtitles for the African American characters is racist or not but if it is I feel horrible for laughing so hard
- “Putana la Seatbelt” <<< literally me trying to pass Spanish
- THEY SAID THE LINE (what’s the vector victor)
- The amount of puns (verbal and visual) in this movie already is killing me I absolutely love it
- The role reversal of the old women being annoyed of the young mans story of the war is hilarious
- Is this turning into a weird version of Saturday Night Fever?
- IT IS OH WOW WHITE OUTFIT AND ALL
- The old lady hung herself on the plane that’s a lot?
- “I take it black. Like my men.” ICONIC.
- WAIT is that really Kareem Abdul Jabar?!
- It is! That’s brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.
- ETHEL MERMAN SINGING “GYPSY” FROM A HOSPITAL BED IS EVERYTHING TO ME.
- Singing nun on the plane with a guitar. Love the Maria Von Trapp allusion.
- The woman is spitting up eggs?
- This movie is absurd I absolutely love it
- LOL WAS KAREEM IN HIS BASKETBALL UNIFORM WHEN HE PASSED OUT?
- Was that a no sex light that came on with the no smoking light??
- Wow reinflating the automatic pilot is so wrong but hilarious
- Wait Ted’s drinking problem means he literally can’t drink that is a brilliant pun
- That dog jumping up on the guy is actually my friend’s dog whenever I go to her house
- Why do people keep killing themselves when listening to Ted’s story??
- LOL THE TAXI IS JUST WAITING THERE!!!!
- “I speak jive.” Old white lady for the win.
- Does Mrs Over have a horse in her bed????
- The varying news reports. I’m dead. That’s amazing
- For real, the visual puns and gags in this movie are absolutely incredible. They just don’t make comedy movies like this anymore
- “Win one for the Zipper” WOW THEYRE DOING THE GIPPER SPEECH AND PLAYING THE NOTRE DAME FIGHT SONG
- My life as a Notre Dame fan has finally paid off #GoIrish
- Even though I know it’ll end fine this whole landing sequence is making me anxious
- LOL THE CRASH POSITIONS ARE GREAT
- How did they get him to pour sweat like that??? Gross but also hilarious
- Oh my god the automatic pilot flying plane
- WITH THE BLOW UP STEWARDESS
- This movie wins everything.
FINAL THOUGHTS: I’m obsessed with this movie. Everything about it is perfect and I didn’t stop laughing from start to finish. Some topics are dated so there were jokes that maybe went over my head a bit, but the puns and the rest of it were just perfect. It’s a very fun and funny movie, and the humor in it isn’t seen a lot in modern films (which is a shame). This is the best comedic movie I’ve ever seen and I highly highly recommend it to everyone!
((BONUS! Here’s the Notre Dame spoof scene I mentioned. Airplane! was probably spoofing Ronald Regan playing George Gipp, the man who gave the speech in real life, as Regan was running for president at the time this movie was released. The speech was also used in Rudy.))